Thursday 19 January 2012

Picking an image

As our rehearsals proceed apace and the whole show comes together ready for our stunning opening night, I thought it was worth taking a moment to think about the challenges that we face when we take photographs for the programme. I anticipate that you'll identify with some of the issues as they arise.

1 - Resistance
The camera comes out, the lens swivels around towards you and the panic sets in. So you put your hand in the way, turn your head to one side or hide behind someone else. The lengths that people will go to in order to avoid the camera appear quite out of proportion with the act itself. And when you consider that I am trying to take photographs of people who are about to strut their stuff on a stage in front of over 200 people each show, it does seem even more unusual perhaps to be so resistant to having a photo taken!

2 - Background
We rehearse in the old Strutts School in Belper and it seems that when the school was constructed, little thought was given to providing an appropriate non-reflective background for taking portrait photos. Our choice is limited to thin black gauze curtains, shiny black plastic window blinds, grey painted stairwells or the strange yellow paint that is ubiquitous in the classrooms.

3 - Pose
Is it better to go face on or at a slight angle. Which one makes your nose look smaller? Should I raise my chin just slightly and try to hide some of the extra ones that have developed over the last couple of years, or does that make me look more jowled (it's so hard getting old). Will the flash reflect badly off my bald patch? And will anyone other than me care - presumably that's what they see all the time and it's just me that only sees it occasionally when I can't avoid the mirror! Does it make me look taller if I square my shoulders and stick my chest forward a little - and why do I find it so hard to do that constantly so that I look a little less slouch shouldered.

4 - Likeness
And then when the final picture arrives, why does it so often not appear to look like the person who you thought you had taken the photo of in the first place!

Maybe I need a course in taking better photographs. But in the meantime I'll resign myself to the fact that the photos are all going to be reduced to about one inch in height and most people won't notice how much effort went into trying to get them right and keep everyone happy. They will contribute to an excellent and engaging programme - one that will be well worth buying on the night.

More excitingly for me is the fact that Darren Holden of Belper People came along, with his superior camera and ability, and took some photos of the cast rehearsing. You can see them all online here:

http://www.belperpeople.co.uk/pictures/Belper-Musical-Theatre-rehearsing-Copacabana/pictures-14390994-detail/pictures.html

As always if anyone has any useful hints or tips for us on this, then add your comments here!

2 comments:

  1. break a leg belper musical theatre, we wish your production every success and look forward to seeing the final version of the programme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Belper Art Trail - which performance are you attending?

    ReplyDelete