Sunday 12 February 2012


On facial hair

As someone who’s other half firmly believes that a smooth skin is the only one that deserves getting a goodnight kiss, there have been more challenges than I had expected in growing the villainous Rico moustache!
Challenge number one is in trying to grow sufficient length to make it visible from the front row, never mind the back row (we have a full house on opening night, so I need to make sure that they have something to see!). I hadn’t realised that when growing a moustache your facial hair would hit its own version of a wall and appear to do nothing after the first couple of days. Thankfully seven days in it now seems to have started again and I think that there’s some hope that it will be a good show on Tuesday night.
Challenge number two, as is so often the case now, is the impact of ageing. I am so saddened at the quantity of white hair that has decided to come poking its way through my upper lip. You would think that when I’ve never grown a moustache before it would have the decency to take its chance and appear with the sort of colour that the rest of my hair used to have! At least this particular challenge will be easily surmounted with the application of copious amounts of mascara.
Thirdly, and most surprisingly for me I think, is just how difficult it is to consistently shave a moustache into the desired style - especially bearing in mind challenge number one and realising how long it will take to rectify any mistakes. Having spent a bit of time on Google images looking at different approaches to growing a pencil moustache (apparently the quickest sort to grow) I decided to go for something like a cross between Clark Gable and Tony out of the original series of 24. So that requires shaving straight down from my nose - whilst keeping both sides even; harder than it looks.
Sam Silver has also grown an impressive pencil moustache, whereas Carlos has shaved his beard off.
I wonder whether any of our ladies have had to go to such troubles with shaving etc to look the part for the show?

No comments:

Post a Comment