Saturday 20 October 2012

Me and my girl

Currently, I am sitting in Dubai city, where the sun is shining brightly and the traffic on the street below (10 lane motorway) is whizzing along with horns merrily blaring. Whilst I am here however, my friends and fellow members of Belper Musical Theatre are planning for their auditions for Me and My Girl tomorrow. I'm so glad that I have got that out of the way.
I do wonder sometimes whether I am unique in the company for my almost complete lack of knowledge of musicals. Each year when I find out what we are performing, it's like a whole new lesson and experience for me. I didn't know Anything Goes, Brigadoon or Copa cabana. So perhaps unsurprisingly I don't know Me and My Girl. But I am really looking forward to doing so.
My initial understanding is that it's all about someone from the lower side of society who has inherited lots of money. I suppose that there is some sort of similar story in Downton Abbey (but less music) and perhaps this new found love of all things aristocratic will encourage people to come along and see the show.
I do know two of the songs in it - the Lambeth walk and The Sun has got his hat on. But I anticipate that, as is so often the case, the notes and rhythms that I know are not quite the same as the official ones as were originally composed.
I am looking forward to being part of the company of this one and hope that I will find many little moments of fun to share with you all through the pages of this blog.
For the moment however, the sun has got his hat on over here, so I think I will pop out, like the mad dogs and Englishmen (is that from a musical?) for a quick top up of my vitamin D levels.
What's the weather like back home?

No comments:

Post a Comment