Saturday 16 February 2013

Imaginary birthdays

My phone this morning told me that it is Doris Millers birthday. It seems strange to me to think that anyone could consider celebrating the birthday of an imaginary character (remember Doris Miller was the person we never got to meet last year in Copacabana) and when one group member, widely believed to be Richard Poole (especially after he admitted it) saw fit to create Doris Miller as a real person on Facebook, many others then made friends with her. I still think that it is interesting to note that some people who were friends with  Doris were not listed as friends with Richard. Let's leave it at that. Anyway one year on it seems today is Doris Miller's birthday. Happy birthday Doris.
That got me thinking about the way that the show takes on a life of its own. My wife often comments that when this time is here it seems that there is nothing other than the show itself. It is a hungry beast that consumes everything in its path and still wants more. I'm sure any of those who gave up their evening yesterday packing things into the van, either at Ian's or the yard, then unloading again at the school, and keeping going from 4 till 9, or even just an hour or so, will completely agree with that. And for those with an early morning back at 9am with no intention of being home before 9 pm this evening it'll feel even more the case. Is it worth it? Well I think so. It's a great show. And the only surprise to me is that we haven't sold out for every performance. The script is good, casting great and I think it promises to be a brilliant show all round.
So my final thought today is that it would be a fabulous birthday present for Doris if you book a ticket for the show, or remind anyone who hasn't got theirs yet to get that sorted. It promises to be a great night out.
Happy birthday Doris Miller.

2 comments:

  1. It was a brilliant show, you were right. And you were a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous,
    Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed the show and that the fun which all of the cast had in putting it on came across so well.
    Hope to see you there next year!
    Matthew

    ReplyDelete